What You Need To Know About Buying Or Selling Your Property During Covid-19
If you are looking to buy or sell your property during the current Covid-19 pandemic, then you may need to prepare yourself for the entire process to take an additional two to four months – and that is if you are working with an Estate Agent.
Minimising Personal Showings
As we all slowly adapt to the new health and safety protocols, we are also figuring out new ways to buy and sell property, while maintaining minimal human contact. Karis Properties are far more proactive in sifting out the casual browser, which may initially disappoint you – as the Buyer or Seller, but it ensures that only qualified buyers have access to the premises.
Embrace Virtual Marketing
There is a good chance that you will end up meeting your Karis Agent online. It is here where Karis will take you on a virtual open house tour of striking interiors, modern kitchens and expansive gardens. Thanks to technology, many Karis Agents are utilising platforms which promote 360-degree video tours of properties.
Recent trends show that potential buyers are more frequently clicking on properties that offer 360-degree virtual tours than on traditional listings. This is probably because it enables you to view a property online during the pandemic and all from the comfort and safety of your own home.
Sellers are also encouragingly embracing this technology, along with drone footage, to help properties stand out. To conduct a virtual open house yourself, you need to upload a narrated tour of your property to a platform, such as Facebook. Karis Properties are already using this method and are becoming quite adept at ensuring the properties are viewable, so it may be worth asking your agent to do this for you.
Health and Safety First
Under these pandemic conditions and the resulting necessary restrictions, the following precautions are vital to protect everyone during a sale.
- Property viewing hours will need to be limited every day as per the latest government regulations.
- Face-to-face meetings need to be restricted and telephone and/or video calls should be used as far as possible.
- If face-to-face meetings are unavoidable, then meetings should always be done via appointment and with all parties wearing masks and observing social distancing protocols.
- Adhering to social distancing protocols entails all parties refraining from making any physical contact with any person involved in the showing or transaction, and maintaining a physical distance of at least 1,5m from all persons at all times.
- Any showing of a property should, as far as possible, be done virtually using 360-degree videos.
- All parties must wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth at all times.
- No more than two potential Buyers, plus one Karis Agent is allowed on the property at a time.
- The bathroom facilities may not be used at the property being viewed.
- Private showings will be kept as brief as possible.
Over and above these general safety rules, there are specific measures that Buyers, Sellers and Karis Properties should take to ensure everyone’s safety.
Health and Safety for Potential Buyers
- As a potential buyer, you should meet your Agent at the property and not expose yourself or the Agent by travelling together in one car.
- You should always refrain, as far as possible, from touching any surface or object in the property being viewed.
Health and Safety for Sellers
- As a Seller, you should open all doors and windows, for proper ventilation, before the arrival of the Agent and potential Buyers/s, as well as ensure that all doors are open and all areas well-lit, to prevent visitors unnecessarily touching doorknobs and light switches.
- You should have hand sanitizer ready at the entrance to your property for all showings.
- Once the showing is over, ensure that your property is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
Health and Safety for Karis Properties
All Karis Properties Estate Agents are fully trained in Covid-19 health and safety protocols and as such, will;
- Request and capture all your contact details, as well as your possible prior exposure to COVID-19 and your temperatures. If the Agent deems anyone a risk, then you will not be allowed onto the premises, for your safety.
- Offer hand sanitiser to you before allowing you access to the property. Your Agent will also ensure that you use this sanitiser.
- Provide sanitising wipes to wipe down any surface or object that may have accidentally/unavoidably been touched during the showing.
Signing the Contract
Once an offer has been made, virtual tools such as Zoom Meetings, Google Docs, e-signatures and email are used by Karis Properties to simplify the task of managing the paperwork and reducing human interaction. The automation of almost the entire buying and selling process is becoming more frequent, as is the ability to maintain social distancing throughout. Should a face-to-face meeting be required to sign any documents, each attendee must use their own pen and sanitise before and after the meeting.
There is little doubt that buying or selling a property during Covid-19 is challenging and as Karis Properties, we might have to do things differently, but we still get them done! This is why it is vital to have an Estate Agent whom you can trust to ensure that your expectations and safety concerns are met.
The future property market will no doubt look very different compared with the pre-Covid-19 pandemic. However, Karis Properties believes that it will have an extremely positive outcome in terms of its potential for better service to you.